Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fun in Boise (which is NOT a state)

I'm a Vandal, and as such I feel obligated to point out that, despite what the Boise State University believes, Boise is NOT a state. Just to clarify, BSU is (was?) our college rival. I wouldn't be a true Vandal if I didn't mention this fact. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to give their college this name.

So, you may be asking why I'm going on about this. Well, normally a trip to Bronco country wouldn't be all that appealing, but since my sister moved to Boise I figure I had better get used to it. I thought I would have her show me around over the Memorial holiday weekend while my sexy husband shot trap at the state tournament.

My sister showed my boys and me a very good time in Boise. We went to the Farmers' Market, the Capitol Building, the Zoo, Powell's Candy, one of the city parks, shopping, good food, and a movie at the theatre (Pirates of the Carribean 4).

Here are some of my pictures from the weekend, most of which are from our trip to the zoo.

This little guy seemed to be posing for me. Work it! Work it!

There were some very interesting looking creatures.

There were beautiful animals.

And some not so beautiful animals.

And some that I couldn't decide whether they were beautiful or not.

My boys got to get up close and personal with these prairie dogs. I thought this was such a cool idea!

There were some very regal animals.

This Sloth Bear obviously hadn't visited a manicurist in awhile.

This slimy toad reminded me of Jaba the Hut from Star Wars.

We took a very short boat ride that the boys seemed to enjoy.

I suspect these two partied too hard the night before we visited. During the three hours we were there these hyenas never woke up. Must have been some party!

The animals seemed to be drawn to my baby. Penguins are such characters.

My older boy had fun feeding the funny goats.

Seriously! Can you even look at this picture without smiling?

Some of the animals were kind of scary and intimidating. The king of the jungle loved flaunting his stuff in front of the windows.

Here he is giving my son a little looksy. I can't help but wonder if he was thinking "snack" while staring at my baby. Thank goodness for the very thick glass!

After the zoo we hit Powell's Candy Store and enjoyed some gilato. YUM!  Spiderman's flavor of choice was strawberry.

Cala's favorite wall was the Jelly Belly wall. Can't say I blame her. Another YUM!

I loved how cute the presentation of the gilato was. This kid's flavor choice was rocky road.

After the candy store a little energy-burning was in order so we headed to the park.


We had such a great time, and my sister was a perfect host. I look forward to visiting her and Boise (not a state) again!

Remember your blessings!
Amber