Wednesday, May 27, 2009

About My Welcome Door

This is the door that sits on my front porch welcoming me and all my visitors.

I actually picked up two of them at a barn sale in Oregon. I got them for a whopping $5 each! What a find. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the other one yet.

I didn't have to paint the door since it was already white. I just had to clean it with good old soap and water. It had been sitting in a guy's shop for years judging from the layer of dirt that was on it.

I got this mirror at a thrift store for $2. It was just plastic made to look like oak. I grabbed a can of white spray paint for plastic and gave it a couple coats. The coat hooks on it were already there so I strung some jute twine between them and hung the mirror. Then, since it had that nice well on it I planted a cascading variety of flower in it. It dries up pretty quickly so I have to water it at least every other day.
The key was stuck in the door, but after fiddling with it for about 20 minutes I finally was able to get it out. I wanted to hang it off the door knob for a bit of whimsy, then I found this cute ceramic A at Michael's while I was there looking for some silk flowers.

I was going to use a vinyl decal for a welcome sign, but after seeing the price of the vinyl, plus the transfer paper I decided not to go with that. I decided to go with rub-ons instead. I found some the right size and put them on. Worked like a charm, but it was still missing a little something so I pulled out one of my favorite swirly stamp sets and added two little swirls using staz-on ink.

So there you have it! For under $10 I was able to make this cute and inviting piece of deck art.


Remember your blessings!
Amber

6 comments:

* The MOM said...

I would NEVER had thought of that! I wish I were so creative. It's GORGEOUS!!!! Maybe save the other one for for decorating for holidays. Like Halloween scary door, or Christmas tree door. :D

Shawna said...

I know what you can do with door #2...I have a perfect spot for it right in my dining room!!! You did a fabulous job, I love it!

8 said...

Love love the door! You are so darn creative!

Josi said...

You just amaze me. That's all. It's just awe! I LOVE it and NEVER would have thought of it.

Vicki Z said...

I agree with everyone else! You are one talented woman and I love your creativity.

debbi said...

love the door...cleaver!!!
maybe someday you could show us the rest of the porch (including the door).
thanks for sharing