Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Finding the Right Arrangement

I haven't been feeling the love lately in my livingroom. Actually, I've never really been able to arrange the furniture in a way that I thought felt right. So, since my mom has been visiting for the past week we decided to brainstorm and rearrange the furniture, bringing in pieces from other parts of the house and removing some that didn't quite fit the mood I was trying to create.

Here's the before.
My problems with it are...
1 - Both chairs are too large and they just don't seem to fit.
2 - I feel like the ottoman (a fold out twin-sized bed) is awkward and seems so large and in the way.
3 - Everything is too dark.

I tried to lighten things up with some new throw pillows and cherry blossoms. It helped but the chairs were still a problem, and there's that ottoman again.
Here's the view from the other side of the room.

What we decided to do...

1 - Move the chairs to a different room and bring in the matching loveseat.
2 - Move the sofa in front of the window.
3 - Bring in a free bluish auqua chair I picked up for free on a curbside one day. Casey doesn't like this chair so it will most-likely eventually be replaced.
4 - Adjust the layout of the ottoman so it fit better.
5 - Bring in more splashes of white to lighten up the room.

Now, I would love to replace the rug and bring in something light. I just haven't found the right rug for the right price yet.
Here's the angle from the other side of the room. Definitely better, but I can't wait to see what a lighter rug will do to the space. Also, after seeing these pictures I definitely need to bring in more pillows!
There's a tip for you. When you are trying to decorate a room take pictures on your digital camera. It's easier to spot places that need help.

A closer look at the corners. The large mason jar I picked up at Tri-State and put black-eyed peas to hold some hydrangeas that were on sale at Michael's for 50% off. I love how that worked out! I'm sure you recognize the ottoman and white tray. Hanging the tray on the wall was my mom's idea. Thanks Mom! In case you're wondering, that sign reads "We interrupt this marriage for hunting season."
Here's the other corner with my ugly leather chair. I happen to like it, but since my husband doesn't, then we'll have to do something about it.

So there you have it! It feels so much cozier in this space now. It still has a ways to go, but it's slowly transforming into something more me.

Remember your blessings!
Amber

3 comments:

8 said...

ok, casey is crazy because the chair is AWESOME! Tell him that if he gets to hang a deer head on the wall you can have the chair in the living room!

Josi said...

Ooh, I agree with Jo. That chair is pretty awesome!! And just for the record, I love your house any way you have it because your sense of design and decoration is just, well, AMAZING but the lightening up of the room is great!

Julia said...

The room looks great! I hope you find the rug you're looking for.